Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Piperno

Sorry this post is so late. I was out of town for a wedding and was spending alot of time drinking and not so much time blogging!

Two weekends ago was St. Joseph's Day, so in honor of that holiday, this week's post focuses on Italian food. And what better place to eat Italian food than Rome! One of my favorite restaurants in Rome is Piperno -- a fairly formal, traditional Roman restaurant in the Jewish quarter.

The restaurant is located in a tucked-away little piazza behind the palazzi of the Jewish ghetto and is slightly hard to find. But, once you find it, you will have stumbled onto quite a treat. It is old, like most great finds in Rome, established around 1860.

When my husband and I went there, we started with the Jewish artichokes -- big artichokes smashed flat and fried. It looks like a chrysanthemum once done. This particular preparation is a specialty of Piperno and I can see why! I am a huge artichoke fan to begin with, but frying them really took them to the next level. They were crispy, tangy and super salty.

Next I had some outstanding gnocchi -- clearly homemade and tossed in a cheesy fontina sauce. They were like the most decadent mac and cheese you could imagine. I still dream about these little puffs. For my entree (yes, we ate alot that night), I had a traditional veal saltimbocca. Absolutely delicious.

Besides these items, Piperno has a huge menu of Italian favorites. Its specialties are the various fried items, include the artichokes discussed above, and the freshly made pastas.

The service is very traditional and "white glove." I adore those old-fashioned manners, so was in heaven.

TIP: The night we went to Piperno it was raining, but if you go on a nice night, try to sit outside. The courtyard is delightful.

If you find yourself in Rome, I would highly recommend making a trip to Piperno. You will not regret it!

Ristorante Piperno
Monte dé Cenci, 9 Roma
tel.Linea 1 +39 06 68.80.66.29
tel.Linea 2 +39 06 68.33.606
fax +39 06 68.21.95.95
mail: info@ristorantepiperno.it