Friday, October 1, 2010

Pat O'Brien's

Last weekend, I went to New Orleans for a bachelorette party. Every time I go out in New Orleans, I inevitably end up at Pat O'Brien's and I always have a great time when I do. Pat O'Brien's (or Pat O's as the locals call it) has been around since 1933. The building has been around since 1791! It is a true New Orleans original, though now there are locations in Orlando, San Antonio and Cancun. But, if you come to New Orleans and you want to experience the night life, you have to go to Pat O's.

Pat O's consists of four areas: the Piano Lounge, the Main bar, the Patio and an area with private rooms. If it is a nice night, I would head straight to the Patio. You will definitely not be able to miss it -- there is a huge flaming fountain in the middle. That's right -- a fountain with both water and fire. Again, you can't miss it. As soon as you get to the courtyard, you have to stalk a table. This is not a civilized place where a waitress seats you. Uh uh...this is New Orleans...you gotta fight for your table!! Once you are seated, order a Hurricane. I know there are other drinks on the menu, but order the Hurricane, I promise you will not regret it. Well, I take that back, you might regret it in the morning! A Hurricane is a rum-based drink created when rum was the easiest and most plentiful liquor to come by. The signature glass is shaped to resemble a hurricane lamp. Once you get your hurricane, just chill, drink, and check out the sights. I promise you will see lots of interesting sights!

If you want to try something different, instead, head to the Piano Lounge. You will notice it because of the long line snaking out. The piano bar is very popular, so you may have to wait. But, you can drink while you wait, so it is not a big deal. Once you are seated, you will get to listen to dueling piano players go through song after song with the audience singing along. It gets very rowdy and is super fun. Again, stick to the Hurricane, that is the best way to get a real New Orleans experience.

TIP: You will notice they have a roaming photographer taking pics of all the guests. Though this may seem cheesy, get one --  most young New Orleanians have a Pat O's picture somewhere in their house. I know I do! It really is a great souvenir.

ANOTHER TIP: The souvenir glasses the Hurricanes come in can be kept as souvenirs or they can be brought back to the bar for cash. A true local will grab all the glasses left behind by tourists, to try to drink for free all night. So, do not leave an empty glass behind. Either take it home as a souvenir or take it to the bar for cash (so you can drink more of course).

Pat O's is, in my opinion, the best bar in New Orleans. I even went there after my wedding! I would highly recommend stopping in the next time you are in the Big Easy.

Pat O'Brien's Bar
718 St. Peter Street
New Orleans, LA 70116
Phone: (504) 525-4823
Toll Free: (800) 597-4823
Fax: (504) 588-2752
www.patobriens.com